About the U.P. Reader
The U.P. Reader is an annual publication that represents the cross-section of writers that are the membership of the Upper Peninsula Publishers and Authors Association. This annual anthology will be used as a vehicle to showcase and promote the writers of the Upper Peninsula. Each issue is released in paperback, hardcover, and eBook editions at the Spring membership meeting. Copies of the U.P. Reader will be made available to booksellers, UPPAA members, libraries, and news services. The U.P. Reader has received more media coverage this year since the inclusion of the Dandelion Cottage Award, We hope the U.P. Reader will be a great place for you to showcase original short works too!
Publicity for the U.P. Reader
- 12 hardcovers are sent out to the Library of Michigan to fulfill nomination for Michigan Notable Books
- 25 paperbacks are delivered to the Superiorland Library Cooperative to be distributed to libraries across the U.P.
- 40 paperbacks are mailed to museums, gift shops, bookstores, cafes, and other venues that sell books in the U.P.
- 20 paperbacks are mailed to newspapers, radio and TV stations, and news blogs around the U.P.
- Must be a current member of the UPPAA to submit.
- Submissions must be original with no prior appearance in web or print. Submissions will be accepted for up to 5,000 words. Writers who submit work which has previously appeared in blog posts, web pages, eBooks, or in print will be disqualified.
- Submissions can be any type of genre, Fiction, Nonfiction (memoirs, history, essays, feature articles, interviews, opinions) and Poetry. These also can include photography or artwork, but author must show permission for use.
- All submissions will be reviewed through a jury and the submissions will be chosen through this process.
- We prefer Microsoft Word Document (.DOC) files only or plain text files (.TXT). Do not submit PDF files. If you have some other type of text file, please inquire.
- Authors may include photos with the understanding that they will be converted to black-and-white. We reserve the right to limit the number of photos per story that will be used. Photos should be at least 300 DPI and no smaller than 2 inches on a sided (i.e. 600px minimum). If the Author is not the photographer, we may ask for a simple one-page “Photo Release” form to be sent in.
- No more than 3 items will be accepted from a submitter. This includes photos, stories, and poems. If more than 3 are received, the jury may choose to disregard all of them.
The U.P. Reader will require FIRST time rights in print and digital. After one year ALL rights will return to the author. The U.P.P.A.A. retains the right to use it in perpetuity. For Example, we anticipate a “Best of U.P. Reader” to be issued for the 10th anniversary.
Publication Schedule for U.P. Reader Volume #5
- Submission deadline: Nov. 15th, 2020
- Dec 21, 2020 Jury / peer-review process begins
- Jan 15th, 2021 announcement of selected submissions
- April 1st, 2021 official on-sale date
- Spring Conference 2021: Launch party, location to be determined.
Send submissions to email@example.com
Be sure to put “U.P. Reader Submission” in the subject line.