The deadline for UPPAA members to submit essays, short stories, poems, and other written works is coming up fast — November 15th, 2020 is absolutely the last day we can accept submissions for U.P. Reader #5 which will be published in Spring 2021. We have a big surprise in store for you for this issue, it’s going to be spectacular in a brand new way…
- Must be a current member of the UPPAA to submit.
- Submissions must be original with no prior appearance in web or print. Submissions will be accepted for up to 5,000 words. Writers who submit work which has previously appeared in blog posts, web pages, eBooks, or in print will be disqualified.
- Submissions can be any type of genre, Fiction, Nonfiction (memoirs, history, essays, feature articles, interviews, opinions) and Poetry. These also can include photography or artwork, but author must show permission for use.
- All submissions will be reviewed through a jury and the submissions will be chosen through this process.
- We prefer Microsoft Word Document (.DOC) files only or plain text files (.TXT). Do not submit PDF files. If you have some other type of text file, please inquire.
- Authors may include photos with the understanding that they will be converted to black-and-white. We reserve the right to limit the number of photos per story that will be used. Photos should be at least 300 DPI and no smaller than 2 inches on a sided (i.e. 600px minimum). If the Author is not the photographer, we may ask for a simple one-page “Photo Release” form to be sent in.
- No more than 3 items will be accepted from a submitter. This includes photos, stories, and poems. If more than 3 are received, the jury may choose to disregard all of them.
The U.P. Reader will require FIRST time rights in print and digital. After one year ALL rights will return to the author. The U.P.P.A.A. retains the right to use it in perpetuity. For Example, we anticipate a “Best of U.P. Reader” to be issued for the 10th anniversary.
Send those submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org